A Writer's Resolutions

About a week and a half ago, my good friend and fellow writer, Joni Rodgers, asked me if I did an annual business plan for my writing and what my resolutions were for the coming year. Immediately, the usual, lame annual resolutions popped into mind (overcome my aversion to exercise, reverse aging process, lose the pounds that crept on over the holidays), but I don't really think that's what she had in mind.

After listening to her excellent business resolutions for the year, I've given a bit of thought to my own, which includes the following:

1. Continue writing Texas-set romantic suspense featuring realistic, relatable characters in deep trouble, plenty of tension, and family elements. Give readers a reliable reading experience while working diligently to improve my craft with each book.
2. Actively promote my July release, HEAD ON, and work with my agent to sell a pair of new proposals with the goal of getting two books out in 2008. Brainstorm and develop additional proposals as needed.
3. Mentor dedicated up-and-coming writers (something I very much enjoy) via articles, speaking engagements, and this blog and complete a related nonfiction proposal.
4. Learn more about nonfiction markets and break into a large-circulation magazine with a feature story.

My business plan also includes a "mental health" department, with behaviors I resolve to avoid in 2007.
1. Comparing my career to that of others.
2. Obsessiving watching meaningless online sales rankings.
3. Sweating the parts of the process outside of my control.
4. Ignoring or downplaying good news and only "believing" negatives.

So now that I've listed my resolutions, I have to ask what's your business plan for writing in 2007? What do you plan to do, and what self-defeating behaviors do you resolve to avoid?

Comments

Hi Colleen: I can relate to your four "mental health" resolutions. I have a subscription to the Bookscan weekly top 100 in romance--another list to obsess over! (Let it go, Jennifer.)

My resolutions for work are to get through the glut of books I have due by March 31 without having a nervous breakdown, and make sure my schedule is reasonable and doable from here on out. I certainly bit off more than I could chew for the last year and a half. I need to make sure deadlines are evenly paced, not four in four months!

Finally, your new cover is awesome!!!! Love it.
Thanks for the kind words on the cover, Jenn.

Your writing schedule sounds grueling! You shouldn't even have time to check Bookscan! :)

Wishing you a happy & successful 07.
Jolie Mathis said…
My writing goals are to:

1. Improve my craft - become a better writer!

2. Make more effective use of my writing time -- get more written!

Thanks for dragging that out of us, Colleen.
Those sound like great goals, Jolie. I've often wished for that time distortion device Hermione used in one of the Harry Potter books so she could be in two places at once! Then I could be lollygagging *and* writing. Woo, hoo!