"Solveig's Song" from Peer Gynt


Holy Norskadalen. Hadn't heard this lovely song in a long time, but I stumbled on this great version in my research today. Harps! Big hair! Grieg is in the yurt! The Norwegian lyrics: Kanske vil der gå både Vinter og Vår, og næste Sommer med, og det hele År, men engang vil du komme, det ved jeg visst; og jeg skal nok vente, for det lovte jeg sidst. Gud styrke dig, hvor du i Verden går, Gud glæde dig, hvis du for hans Fodskammel står! Her skal jeg vente till du komme igjen; og venter du hisst oppe, vi træffes der, min Ven. (In essence) Though winter and spring pass and summer days run out, I know you'll return to me, and I'll wait, just as I promised. May God watch over you, wherever you go. May God comfort you and sit beside you. I'll wait for you and see you in Heaven.

Comments