Mystery Plays the Blues:On Bookseller David Thompson's Passing


Yesterday, I received the tragic news about the untimely sudden death of David Thompson, of Houston's Murder by the Book. At only 38 and recently married to MBTB's McKenna Jordan, he filled a unique place at the hearts of both the Houston book community and the national mystery community.

I want to say so much more about his gift of recommending the perfect book (his last one to me was the outstanding The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley), his warm welcome to both new and established authors, and his absolutely boundless enthusiasm for the written word. Like so many other authors, I've always looked forward to my signings at the store, in part because of the camaraderie among its staff and customers - the way all of them, David and McKenna in particular, made it homey and charming and everything an independent bookstore -- any bookstore -- ought to be.

Right now, however I find myself at such a loss, choked up by one attempt after another, so I will merely offer my condolences to David's family, co-workers, and the community of authors and readers who adored him. Sometimes, it seems, words just aren't enough.

See the Houston Chronicle's obituary here.

Comments

I'm choked up about it too. So sad.
Mylène said…
Oh my goodness . . . what a shock. Thank you, David, for all you did for books, and books in Houston. You will be sorely missed.