The Joy of the Grind

Don't get me wrong. I love the holidays. I love the shopping and the wrapping, the cooking and the family time, and there's nothing like hanging with the kiddo watching A CHRISTMAS STORY or HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS for the hundredth time. But I've had a manuscript to revise, another to complete, and an Art Fact Sheet hanging over my head, and today was my appointed moment to get back to the grind.

I have to admit that I love it. I love starting off my morning with a goal and a purpose. I love ticking off a completed item from my list (the Art Fact Sheet, used in the creation of the book's cover by the publisher's art department, has been put to bed), and most of all, I love getting down to brass tacks and creating. In other words, I love my work, which is a real gift and also a darned good thing, since like most writers, I'm rarely really "off."

What I'm not enjoying is how far behind I've fallen in the past few weeks, which is why I've been so quiet here on the blog. I did want to take a moment, though, to revel in how great it feels to sink my teeth into a nice big bite of the routine.

What are you celebrating today?

Comments

Lark Howard said…
I'm celebrating reaching my weight loss goal this morning. Oddly, I think the self-discipline I've had to learn in my writing--persevering and setting goals/deadlines no one else is going to hold me to--was critical to succeeding this time. I've learned the only way a manuscript gets written (or pounds are lost) is for me to just do it, even when everyone else is out there "having fun." But the joy of writing, and even the agony, is the reward at this point and well worth the time and work spent!

Happy New Year, Colleen!
Congratulations on reaching your goal weight and making your self-imposed deadline. Self-discipline squared!
Congratulations on reaching your weight loss goal, Lark! That's so exciting! You are on a roll, lady!

And you're so right about getting into the routine, Colleen. I always have mixed feelings about holidays because they tend to cause so much disruption to the writing schedule. It's why I've had, for the past three years, a tradition of writing at least for an hour on Christmas Eve. I write before I go to the evening service, and it has become a cherished and even sacred tradition. Interestingly, I always have big breakthroughs on those days as well, so it's worked for me on several levels.

This year I even sucked it up and went to Denny's on Christmas (it helped that . It was a bit weird at first, but it was good. I can't say I handled all of the holiday period as well, but I enjoyed keeping "in" the game more this year. Gotta daggone revision to finish!
That parenthetical was supposed to say "it helped that we were camping out in the garage, so I had to go elsewhere for almost everything anyway . . ."

I also am happy to report that my business has grown by leaps and bounds since August. I've now exceeded my December/January projections by about 200%.