Crazy for Trying: the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly reviews

In the coming weeks, I'll be rolling out fresh editions of six bestselling backlist books. Feel like doing me a birthday solid? Read and review one or more! 

This week, Crazy for Trying, a Barnes & Noble Discover Award finalist originally published 25 years ago, is out of the vault, available in paperback and ebook. Over the years, this book has generated reviews that run the gamut from effusive flattery to punch in the face. I'm truly grateful to every reader and reviewer who took the time and energy to respond. Yes, even the ones who hated it. 

😎The Good: (The Brontë moment still fills my heart with joy.)
"Think Jane Eyre with rock and roll." - Houston Press

"Refreshing and provocative." - Houston Chronicle

"A fresh pleasure...Rodgers writers love scenes that scorch the pages." - Orlando Sentinel

"Truly captivating...inevitable comparisons to McMurtry and McGuinn, but Rodgers' prose and style are unique." - Texas Books in Review

"[Rodgers'] prose is dazzling, risky, and intoxicating, and at its heart, Crazy for Trying is an inspired debut." Pam Houston, author of Cowboys Are My Weakness

😬The Bad: (I'm not sure why it's insulting, but I'm pretty sure it is.)
"Rodgers debuts with a good-woman-heals-damaged-man fable, gussied up with pretty Montana scenery and late-night-radio atmospherics."
Kirkus

😂The Ugly: (How harsh are you normally?)
"Horrible may just be to mild a description of what I thought of this book and I am not normally this harsh. I desperately tried to get through chapter 3 but couldn't torture myself any further." 
Reader review




Comments