Frightening, Schmightening


One of the things that cracks me up about writing scary romantic suspense is that some people have started to think *I'm* personally pretty frightening. Sure, I tend to imagine heads rolling about in trunks, look at every new piece of hardware I encounter as a potential murder weapon, and devise a lot of foul demises, but in reality I'm a super-caffeinated bunny of a wimpster who's scared to watch the evening news for few of nightmares. My fears don't end there, either, but include such things as falling/downhill skiiing (for me, these amount to the same thing anyhow), large crowds, dancing in public, and waking up to find the Burger King's creepy plastic face looking down at me. (Freaks me out just thinking about that!) Probably, I'm able to scare others *because* I can easily imagine and describe my fears in vivid detail and not because I'm immune to chill-bumps.

My main man Alfred Hitchcock put it this way:

My good luck in life was to be a really frightened person. I'm fortunate to be a coward, to have a low threshold of fear, because a hero couldn't make a good suspense film.


He also said, "The only way to get rid of my fears is to make films about them."

So maybe what I'm doing is exorcising my own devils, one by one by one.

Comments