A Fresh Start



Even as I work to wrap up one contracted book, I'm in the very early stages of writing another. This is my favorite time of day in the life of the novel's creation. With the sun just teasing the horizon, anything and everything are possible.

At this point, I have a basic premise (which excites me), one intriguing character, and a couple of competing ideas for the opening pages. But I'm still very much at the play stage: testing out scenarios, watching for the first appearance of new characters, casting my lure upon the water to see what rises to the surface.

There's a stillness to this place I love, a spot where my imagination runs unfettered before I step into the harness of the deadline or market expectations. For right now, every possibility is open.

And I can't wait to begin.

Comments