Sunday Quote: King on the Truth of Fiction


"Fiction is the truth inside the lie."
-- Stephen King


I love this quote. It makes me think of all the great novels I've read and plays or movies I've seen whose imagined characters have taught me something real about the human soul. To me, there's more truth in The Kite Runner by the talented Khaled Husseini or in The Trip to Bountiful by the brilliant Horton Foote than in any number of newscasts.

Which novels (or fictional stories from other media) have felt especially true to you?

Comments

Joni Rodgers said…
Amen.

And oh -- love love LOVE Trip to Bountiful
Suzan Harden said…
The Harry Potter books - It's not the family you're born with, but the family you make.
Me, too, Joni. Always makes me cry, though!

I totally agree about the Potter books, Suzan. For all their magic, they contain a lot of truth about the nature of courage and friendship.