'Tis the season for philippics


Okay, I am a word nerd, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. In the course of our morning coffee and crossword puzzle ritual this morning, Gary and I learned what we agreed is one of favorite words in a long while:

philippic
Pronunciation: \fə-ˈli-pik\
Function: noun

Definition: a discourse or declamation full of bitter condemnation; a tirade

Etymology: Middle French philippique, from Latin & Greek; Latin philippica, orationes philippicae, speeches of Cicero against Mark Antony, translation of Greek philippikoi logoi, speeches of Demosthenes against Philip II of Macedon, literally, speeches relating to Philip
Date: 1592

Feel free to flip me a sentence using the word philippic, which seems particularly apt for election season. Or go hear to read The Philippics of Cisero.

Comments

Since I'm sick to death of this campaign season's philippics, I voted early so I go tune out the end-stage ugliness.

Great word!