The Thankful Writer


Writers tend to gripe a lot, especially among other writers. Figuring prominently in such discussions are hair-raising contract negotiations, lack of job security and benefits, and the myriad things that can kill a book before it ever draws breath. It's a tough way to make a buck, and tougher still to stay in business.

But today it seems appropriate to offer up those facets of the work for which I am so thankful.

1. The fulfillment of a long-held dream after many years of hard work.

2. The satisfaction of watching my fictional world come to life on the page.

3. The Fellowship of the Written Word, which extends from avid readers and impassioned writers to librarians to booksellers, and those in publishing.

4. The opportunity to work in comfort in my own home, or just about anywhere else, for that matter.

5. Deadlines, bless their nerve-wracking little hearts, because they equal employment.

6. Imagination, inspiration, and desire, which keep refilling my well.

7. Non-book-obsessed loved ones, who nevertheless support my dream.

8. The furry fan club, which offers wags and kisses even on the worst days.

For what writing gifts are you most grateful this year?

Comments

Joni Rodgers said…
Amen to all of the above.

I'm also weirdly grateful for the inevitable setbacks. They're agony at the time, but as I look back on the trajectory of my career, I see how the "failures" have taught me and taken me in new directions.
Anonymous said…
I'm grateful for the opportunity to meet so many talented people, both face to face and online...

Oh I almost forgot - and for the opportunity to learn to live on next to nothing...

Anthony
I think you're right about the setbacks, Joni. Mine have proven painful but instructive. They're often harbingers of growth.

And LOL, Anthony, on learning to live on next to nothing. Writing's certainly made me appreciate the steady income of my teaching days, which I'd previously considered vastly underpaid. I still think teachers aren't paid enough for what's expected, but they at least have benefits, paid days off, and job security. Plus, when you're in the classroom, it's easy to see your impact in the grand scheme. That last part was my biggest adjustment as I transitioned into writing.