Taking Time to Celebrate



You can only be in one of two places when you're writing for a living: on deadline or unemployed. Today, however, I'm celebrating the precise moment of transition, specifically, that blessed moment of completion.

I'm not really finished, I know. There'll be a read-through with self-guided tweakage, comments from a couple of critique partners (if they can swing the time) and resultant helpful changes, and I'm sure the editor will come up with great suggestions to make the story sharper. But the fact is, the story, a novella, is finished -- a beginning, middle, and an end on paper -- and there's not a better feeling in the world.

So I'm taking this evening to revel in it, celebrating with a little 1/2-fat ice cream (I want to live large, not get larger), playing with my dogs, and watching a little Animal Planet until it's time to hit the hay. No fireworks or fanfares needed, no wild parties or confetti. It's the internal satisfaction of the moment that makes the work worthwhile.

How do you celebrate the completion of a draft? Or do you simply see it as one part of the equation rather than an end in itself.

Comments

Joni Rodgers said…
Congrats, Colleen! Enjoy your day of celebration. And of course, I'll swing the time to read. Looking forward to it.
Suzan Harden said…
So is the trumpet fanfare tomorrow morning totally verboten? *g*

Congratulations! You've got to love the feeling of accomplishment!
Thanks so much, ladies (esp. Joni for offering to read!)

And Suzan, I prefer a kazoo fanfare myself. VBG! Thanks!
jenny milchman said…
Yay, Colleen! I know there might still be some ways to go to get it to BONE LAKE level--but the time to fiddle, to move, and to make it just what you want is a great stage to reach!
Nancy J. Parra said…
Congrats! We really do need to celebrate all the accomplishments-big and small!!

Cheers!
Thanks so much, Jenny and Nancy. I finished my read-through today and will turn it over to the pros for 2nd and 3rd opinions. :)