A moment by the sea (in praise of loneliness)



Met my memoir client in Palm Beach this weekend for a live group read through of her manuscript. It's an intense experience all around the table. I was grateful to have a free hour yesterday to sit by myself and watch the waves roll in.

From Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift From the Sea:
The loneliness you get by the sea is personal and alive. It doesn't subdue you and make you feel abject. It's stimulating loneliness.
I feel exactly the same way about the lonely endeavor of writing. As much as I love the collaborative process -- and as much as I love my clients -- I'm looking forward to spending the summer in my own little corner in my own little chair, working on my own little book. Personal and alive. That's it exactly.

I love that Anne Morrow Lindbergh chose the word "loneliness" instead of "solitude" here. Solitude is being alone. Loneliness is feeling alone. Which can be quite lovely.

Comments

How beautiful. Even an hour can be a gift, and I'm so glad you used yours wisely.
Sounds like you had a moment to refresh your soul. Good.
Mylène said…
I first read Linbergh's book by the sea, on Whidbey Island, at the Hedgebrook retreat for women writers. It moved me then and moves me now. Thanks for casting it back on our shore.