Trustworthy donation links for earthquake relief in Haiti


Thanks to all who sent links and suggestions. Here's where I sent money today:

The American Red Cross International Response Fund
You always know they'll be among the first ones on the ground. If I could give blood, I'd be doing that too.

Habitat For Humanity International
They need funds now so they can go in with immediate temporary shelters and mobilize rebuilding to come. Today I heard the staggering fact that less than 50% of the people had access to clean water BEFORE the earthquake. Virtually all rebuilding resources will have to come from outside the country.

UMCOR - United Methodist Committee on Relief
Gofightwin United Methodists! Good for more than casserole! My friend Rev. Kristin tells me 100% of your donation goes to relief efforts; they get administrative funding elsewhere.

YeleHaiti
Another young friend turned me on to Wyclef Jean's grassroots movement that funds programs in education, sports, the arts in Haiti. Wyclef Jean tweeted earlier today: "Haiti needs your help text YELE to 501501 and $5 will go toward earthquake relief." I wasn't able to get a rating on Yele through CharityWatch or CharityNavigator, but on the donation page it says 100% of your donation will go to earthquake relief. (I figured, hey, Wyclef Jean, five bucks, c'mon. I sent the text, but I do need to see that rating before I donate real money online.)

The U.S. Department of State website suggests texting HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to the Red Cross to help with relief efforts. (The $10 will be charged to your cell phone bill.)

And lit agent Nathan Bransford just reminded me: Doctors Without Borders, already on the ground and rendering aid.

Comments

Thanks, Joni. All great links.
Joni Rodgers said…
Update from my sister Linda (the VA nurse/med missionary sis): "World Vision is already there (400 permanant staff), they are an excellent humanitarian group with a high rating."
Thanks, Joni! I've give as well.

These are all great groups, and I also encourage folks to check the American Institute of Philanthrophy http://www.charitywatch.org/ site for ratings on how each outfit uses donations.

Now is a good time to be especially watchful for scams.