Buy This Book: "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown (No problem a library card can’t solve!)


There are certain imprints I keep my eye on because I know I'm probably going to love any books that wear them. Even though I'm sent half a dozen free books every week - an embarrassment of riches - I still go out and buy from these publishers: Shaye Areheart (sadly no more) at Crown, Unbridled (I'm a subscriber, so their tasty delights are delivered to my doorstep), and most recently Amy Einhorn Books at Putnam. Their first title was The Help by Kathryn Stockett, followed by Sarah Blake's The Postmistress, which is fresh out in paperback this week and well worth a trip to B&N. I just sampled Eleanor Brown's debut novel, The Weird Sisters on Kindle, promptly hit the buy link and can't wait to devour the rest. The style is smart, accessible and engaging, and I have high hopes for the story. I mean...it's an Einhorn, after all.

From the website:
The Andreas sisters were raised on books – their family motto might as well be, ‘There’s no problem a library card can’t solve.’ Their father, a renowned, eccentric professor of Shakespearean studies, named them after three of the Bard’s most famous characters: Rose (Rosalind – As You Like It), Bean (Bianca – The Taming of the Shrew), and Cordy (Cordelia – King Lear), but they have inherited those characters’ failures along with their strengths. Now the sisters have returned home to the small college town where they grew up – partly because their mother is ill, but mostly because their lives are falling apart and they don’t know where to go next.
If I love it, I'll buy a copy and ask Bobbi to do a proper review here on the Octo. Meanwhile, you can read an excerpt here and visit the Putnam site for more about Amy Einhorn Books.

Comments