Eagerly awaiting Tom Folsom's The Mad Ones

The moment I saw the engaging book trailer (below) for Tom Folsom's forthcoming The Mad Ones: Crazy Joe Gallo and the Revolution at the Edge of the Underworld, I knew what my son Spike would be getting for his 22nd birthday this summer. He's in those "I'd rather have cash" years, but this is one I know he's going to love.



From the press kit:
For anyone who loves The Godfather and Jack Kerouac, THE MAD ONES: Crazy Joe Gallo and the Revolution at the Edge of the Underworld (Weinstein Books; May 5, 2009), tells for the first time the complete story of Joey Gallo, a charismatic beatnik gangster whose forays into Greenwich Village in the 1960s inspired his bloody revolution against the Mafia establishment.

Celebrated in a Bob Dylan ballad, Joey was the epitome of gangster chic, an anti-hero and counterculture rebel/philosopher who read Camus and Sartre. He made the rounds of high society with Jerry Orbach before being gunned down midbite at Umberto’s Clam House in Little Italy. Coinciding with this year's 40th anniversary of the publication of The Godfather, The Mad Ones brings to life the true stories that inspired Puzo's masterpiece.

Click here to visit Folsom's web site. And yes, I will be reading before I giftwrap.

Comments