Pulitzer on Writing & Pulitzer Fiction


As I work on edits this week, I've found some special words to guide me.

Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light.

Joseph Pulitzer


And speaking of Pulitzer, I'd like to give a shout-out of congratulations to Elizabeth Strout, author of Olive Kitteridge, the winner of the 2009 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

In a starred review, Publishers' Weekly calls this series of interconnected stories "easy to read and impossible to forget."

In yet another starred review, Booklist says, "Though loneliness and loss haunt these pages, Strout also supplies gentle humor and a nourishing dose of hope. People are sustained by the rhythms of ordinary life and the natural wonders of coastal Maine, and even Olive is sometimes caught off guard by life’s baffling beauty."

There's a new paperback edition come out 4/27/09 for only $8.40 on Amazon. That's a lot of quality fiction for the price! Follow the link above to check it out.

Comments

Joni Rodgers said…
That's so brilliantly put by Pulitzer. Grabbing that for my "Guiding Principles" board.
Jenny Milchman said…
Along the lines of awards, I was reading the Arthur Ellis nominations. It's a Canadian award and really seems to pick out some quality stuff. I read the nominee in the Best First Novel category--it's called ICED UNDER and is a totally creepy story of what happens when one newly divorced wife sequesters herself and her daughters in a barren, snowy corner of the world. (Colleen, this lady is as tough as Susan Maddox! :) And Linwood Barclay was nominated for best novel--he's been a favorite of mine since last year's thriller, NO TIME FOR GOODBYE.

Maybe I should've posted this under what I'm reading, but it strikes me as a wonderful thing that there are so many literary awards given out...
Thanks for the recommendations, Jenny. Both books sound like something I could sink my teeth into. Great premises, and love the idea of the creepy, icy, barren setting. (I could have a blast with that!)