Anne Tyler on psychic space


Friday, I posted what I thought would be the first half of one of my little parables, thinky thoughts on life and art, and I thought I knew exactly what I wanted to say in Part 2. Four days later, it's proving elusive, and I know myself well enough to let it ride until it clicks, and that probably won't happen until I have the house to myself again. My kids are both at home this week, and while they're both busy with their own stuff, something about having them here puts me in a different state of brain. I'm Mom first, author in between. Reminded me of something I read and tucked in my quote bank.

Anne Tyler: "I can never tell ahead of time which book will give me trouble - some balk every step of the way, others seem to write themselves - but certainly the mechanics of writing, finding the time and the psychic space,are easier now that my children are grown."

That phrase "psychic space" stayed with me. It's not office space, quiet time, or actual opportunity. It's mental real estate, a frame of mind.

Comments

TJ Bennett said…
Argh. Must know how story ends.

You taunt and tempt me beyond bearing.

Saucy wench.

TJB