On Marriage and Dancing As Fast As You Can

Dear Friends, I thought you all might get a kick out of this: PopEater (AOL's pop culture site) yesterday published my story "How Dancing With The Stars Almost Ruined My Marriage" to coincide with the season finale of Dancing With The Stars.  My husband and I are devotees of the show for all sorts of reasons (some of you might remember I'm a former dancer), not the least of which is that it takes two people who have no idea what it means to move in exact synchronization, chest-to-chest, and teaches them not only how to survive the encounter, but fly.  Music and a good instructor can do that for you.  Even sometimes, in my husband's and my case, after something has gone terribly wrong between you:

Here's the thing: You can be married to someone for two decades and still completely screw up. Make mistakes so profound it's like you've never even met before . . . But Alejandro taught us how to walk, side by side. Then he taught us how to walk facing each other. He taught us how to stretch, how to glide our legs a little more, so that we were walking a little farther, a little more powerfully than we thought we could . . . All we had to do was hold each other, and listen . . .

I hope you enjoy not only the story of our salvaged tango, but the chances you get, with your partner, to laugh, cry, fail, fume, recover, and finally, if you're lucky, step out.

The floor waits.  Grab someone you love, and find the beat!

--MD

Comments

Loved this, Mylene! Thanks so much for sharing.
Barbara Sissel said…
I love this post, Mylène! I have always wanted to learn to Tango too. This made me smile. The way things ended up especially.
Mylène said…
Thanks, friends. Apparently it's getting quite a few page-views over there on PopEater. Love the tango lesson at the bottom (not my doing). Nice job, AOL.
Jeanna Thornton said…
Ahh...I can only imagine how beautiful you looked as you walked into the dance with this man you love...

Great post!