Morning Bell

The other day my local library was having a book sale, and I found a stack of Graham Greene books--light green paperbacks, as it happened, together thick as grass--and bought them all.  I haven't read much Greene in my life and have just begun Journey Without Maps.  I'll share with you the opening sentences, which speak to me both as a reader and as a writer:

"The tall black door in the narrow city remained closed.  I rang and knocked and rang again.  I could not hear the bell ringing; to ring it again and again was simply an act of faith or despair, and later sitting before a hut in French Guinea, where I never meant to find myself, I remembered this first going astray, the buses passing at the corner and the pale autumn sun."

Keep ringing, my friends.

--MD

Comments

Joni Rodgers said…
Lovely. Thanks, M.
Jeanna Thornton said…
Mylene, the *morning bell* rings here! Profusely, like the CLATTERING OF OLD SOULS! Faith resides. Thank you for this wonderful post!