Thought for the Day:Plan B

It's no secret that publishing is a tough business. The path is nearly always littered with naysayers and rejection, with soul-crushing setback and seemingly-impossible obstacles. And that's just breaking in. Staying in the business can be even tougher.

I've watched a lot of people set out on their journeys with bright eyes, big dreams, and hearts brimming with hope. And I've watched a huge number turn away in despair, as I've been tempted to myself on more than one occasion.

It's the people who can't quit, the ones who always have a Plan B and then a C, a D, and so on, who get to experience the joy of the breakthroughs. Sometimes they live to hit it big, and other times they just live to fight another day.

In the end, you have to ask yourself if the fight is worth it to you, if the journey for the journey's sake is enough to slake your dreams. Because the success part's mostly out of your control. All you can do is keep putting in the sweat equity and letting the work fill the empty spaces a life without writing would leave.

Comments

Suzan Harden said…
How about a Plan Z for zombies?

Seriously though, I do wonder what people really expect when they say, "I want to write a book."

In my case, I do it to make the voices in my head go away. If I make a little money, then fine, but what I really want is to sleep at night. 'Cause if Conscious Mind doesn't write down what the voices want, then they go Subconscious. And she's a nasty bitch.
Spoken by a woman who really gets it!
"If conscious mind doesn't write down what the voices want, then they go Subconscious. And she's a nasty bitch." YES!!!! SO TRUE!!!!!!

I also think there's no shame in walking away, if you decide publishing isn't for you. Or, now with self-publishing ever cheaper and easier, deciding to go that route. There are just as many pathways in this writing life as there are in life itself, I think.
Anonymous said…
Colleen, the post spoke to me as I straddle another rewrite.

But nothing has ever been as much fun, nothing as brave nor edgy. I turn down decorating job, run from friends, hide and write...There must be a good reason for this!

For the love of the journey...I am staying in! :-)) jink