It's a Book: Lane Smith's latest is a little naughty, but mostly nice


Lane Smith has never been one to baby our kids. He teamed up with Jon Scieszka to create two of my kids' childhood favorites, The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales and The True Story of the Three Little Pigs. His latest is causing a bit of a stir because of some language that strikes some book buyers (and sellers) as not okay for the target audience, listed as Grades 3-5. I know there's going to be some parental tsk-tsking, but so far critics are cool with it. Wall Street Journal praised the stylish design, and School Library Journal says, "Mouse delivers the final punch line, which will lead to a fit of naughty but well-deserved laughter."

The last line is included in the little trailer above. What do you think?

My kids, for better or worse, grew up with some pretty salty language around the house. Back when my daughter was in the "Stinky Cheese Man" demographic, she described me to her teacher as "a Christian who says 'shit'." So I won't be the one to cast the first stone.

Visit Lane Smith online.

Comments

I love Lane's previous books, and I can't imagine any children being permanently warped by what I saw on the vid. With kids of that age (especially the boys) a little harmless naughtiness (both The Stinky Cheese Man and Captain Underpants stand out as great examples) is sure to get them reading. And the more old lady feathers are ruffled, the better!

I'd guess Lane Smith's IT'S A BOOK will do just fine.
Suzan Harden said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suzan Harden said…
Thanks for posting this, Joni!

I wish I could get GK interested in Lane's books. I think they're hysterical. But no, he's moving into hardcore military SF. Considering that four years ago he could barely read a preschool picture book, I'm not arguing his choices.

I have a five-year-old niece I can corrupt though. *evil grin*

(And I still can't spell. Bodes well for the current wip, doesn't it?)