Quote of the Day:Stephen King, On Writing

"You can approach the act of writing with nervousness, excitement, hopefulness, or even despair 0the sense that you can never completely put on the page what's in your mind and heart. You can come to the act with your fists clenched and your eyes narrowed, ready to kick ass and take down names. You can come to it because you want a girl to marry you or because you want to change the world. Come to it any way but lightly. Let me say it again: you must not come lightly to the blank page."

Stephen King (1947 - ), On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, 2000

Comments

Jeanna Thornton said…
Big smile! I never write anything lightly...sometimes my fingers pop the keys angrily, sometimes excitedly but never quietly. My husbands comments:" Who are you fighting?" I answer him, "me."
Thanks, Colleen. That makes me feel better. I get tired of people saying things like "it's just a book."
Mylène said…
I've always liked that book (in fact I like it more than most of his novels).
I agree, Mylene. I love some of King's early work (especially the novellas collected in the book Different Seasons), but On Writing is one of my favorite writing companions of all time.