Taking care of Business

He shoots! She scores! Or at least that's what I thought about my latest -- my twentieth (yea!) book sale Monday, of my second Harlequin Intrigue, Capturing the Commando.

And then my agent broke the news about the deadline. The book is due November 15th, a day on which I agreed to deliver for a variety of sensible reasons. At 55,000 words, this novel will be far shorter than my usual work. Still, this is one daunting challenge, especially considering that I still have a few chapters of another book to finish before I can get started.

So how will I take care of business? By taking care of myself.

Tuesday morning, I made the following changes to my lifestyle:

1. Early to bed, early to rise.
2. Minimum of eight hours sleep.
3. Walking every morning.
4. Fresh, healthy, nutritious meals at regular intervals.
5. Minimum page targets daily and weekly.
6. Finish work day by five o'clock.
7. Be kind to my hands. If this sounds, I'm using a dictation program for this blog post and many e-mails. This saves my tired joints for the writing of the novel, which is difficult for me to dictate.

Yesterday, I worked through a horrible headache that would have stopped me last week. I've written more pages over the last two days that I normally write in a week. In other words, I'm redefining my limitations in the harsh light of necessity.

Because what it all boils down to is how badly you want it? Are you treating your writing goals as your job or a hobby?

I'll keep you posted on how things are working out. For now, I'm off to work. Wish me luck!

Comments

Suzan Harden said…
Go kick some language ass, girl!
Unknown said…
Yay! That's so awesome!

What dictation program do you have? I have arthritis something awful and I also write anywhere from 5K-10K a day. I'd love to save my joints. *g*
Thanks, ladies.

Saranna, I bought Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 after I fell off my kid's skateboard a year-and-a-half back and broke my dominant arm.

Now ask me if I like it.

(No.) I spend more time fighting it and correcting than writing. I think I need to go back and update and retrain it if I can find the time.

And 5-10K! Color me impressed. If I write 4K, its been a very, very good day. With lots and lots of typos!
Mylène said…
Also, dear friend, we your mates will pick up some of the blogging slack!
Thank you, Mylene! That would be most appreciated!
Good luck! I can't even imagine writing 5k-10k a day, so I think you people are awesome. I also think, though, that for those of us who still have a day job, it's important to pace ourselves and to make time for other things. This is something I think about a lot--life balance. It sounds like you're doing the best you can to achieve that with the parameters given. Good for you!